fitting forged pistions

R

r5ben

im going to put forged pistions in my car and swop the clutch as i do this and build p with a full gasket set with uprated head gasket but
what other parts are needed when i do this ?
any tips from some one thats done this b4 :p

youngsyp

While you are putting the pistons in, you could get the standard rods matched ( as much as you can with one set), lightened and balanced. Get the crank lightened and balanced. Put it back together with ARP bolts. Fit a new oil and water pump. Get the flywheel lightened and balanced. fit a Forge lightened pulley set. Get the head flowed and port matched with the inlet and exhaust manifold. Fit a new timing chain and tensioner. Get the plenum flowed. Get a 3" turbo elbow fitted.
Can't think of much more. None of these things need doing but, while it is in bits, you may as well get it all done so, you have the best engine to bolt a new turbo and other bits to and you don't have to get the engine out again to do it all in the future :wink:

G

gagge

just wanted to say that was a really good describition of what to do when the engine is out. But some of the stuff is just over the top depending on how far you want to go with your engine, for example the forge lighter pulley set. But the idea of getting everything flowed and ported is a really good idea and you can earn lots of power but doing this.

Cheers

R

r5ben

dont know if ive got the £££ to do all that thow lads
but i think its a wicked idea just have to see how much i can make the ££ spread out

A

Anonymous

r5ben said:
dont know if ive got the £££ to do all that thow lads
but i think its a wicked idea just have to see how much i can make the ££ spread out
then save up for all that before you start tuning as that was a great guide on what to do while the engine is out.

always try and do as much as you possibly can in 1 hit as you`ll only end up doing it all in the end and it gets very expensive continually rebuilding the engine.

the lightened pulleys are a great mod which will make the engine rev/pick up easier due to the reduced weight as will the lightening/balancing of the bottom end.

youngsyp

If you can't afford all that right now then get the stuff done to the bottom end. I.e. crank, conrods, conrod bolts, oil pump, and flywheel. Basically all the stuff that will necessitate taking the engine out. The stuff with the head can be done by just removing the head itself. You could try flowing and port matching yourself. A great way to learn more about the motor :D At the end of the day, you are just trying to make the engine as strong and efficient as possible :wink:

R

r5ben

thats what i was thinking if i can get the bottom end done with a new clutch as well as a flywheel and the pistions it will be readly for more mods later
and when later comes do the head and the pullies and maybe cams :roll:

but ill do the bottom first and see what ££ is left :wink:
think best thing for me to do is make a list price it all up and work out what i can and cant do in this hit

youngsyp

Just make sure a new oil pump is at the top of that list. Keep it lubed properly and it will last forever :wink: Well, as long as you have it set up properly :D

skiddusmarkus

If you want strong bottom end then Jun list main cap studs for crank(think they're actually made by ARP).I'm also hoping to be able to get headstuds for mine and do away with the bolts.