Experience with CRN brake discs

youngsyp

Ah yes, I was gonna get a set of their grooved disks for the back !

Their website is pretty poor, none of the specs are right for the GTiR...

They also make statements they can't fulfill on their eBay auction... Where they say they can supply Ferodo DS2500 for any Nissan.... Not for for the GTiR they can't !

It's worth a punt for the price of them !

Paul

GTI R RA

I agree about the webpage, but they have had good service and quick response on ebay.
The price looks good, but I have to make shure that it fits the car.

youngsyp

GTI R RA said:
The price looks good, but I have to make shure that it fits the car.
They say the parts are for the GTiR so, if they don't fit, the goods are not as described. You could then send them back and get a full refund.
If they refused, your card company would deal with it for you !

Again though, there are a few inconsistencies... They say the rear disks are vented, when the stock GTiR ones aren't. They'd also have little friction surface thickness if they were !
They also state they are 5 stud fitment. As we all know, the GTiR is a 4 stud fitment !

I'd give them a call and clear these thigs up. If they give you the answers you want, go for it !

Paul

GTI R RA

I also noticed those differences, but on ebay they say that it is 4 stud and
grooved only, but as you say iI can return it if something is wrong.
If i decide to try them out I will get back and report here :)

saddler

As we are talking about rear disks... where else can you buy uprated rear grooved disks

Last edited:

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
saddler said:
As we are taling about rear disks... where else can you buy uprated rear grooved disks
Black diamond make some grooved, but at £180...:shock:

EBC do standard rears, but I'd rather have oil on my brakes...

Not sure about anyone else, I’m trying to find some decent rear grooved discs, but having a little difficulty in getting hold of some.

If anyone else knows someone else that does grooved rears the please post up.

GTI R RA

They have made me an offer on the following package that I composed:

Grooved discs
Extra zink treatment
Yellowstuff pads
Mintex lubricant
Goodridge hoses

Price is 299.99 GBP + postage (60 to Norway.
I might give it a shot.

youngsyp

GTI R RA said:
They have made me an offer on the following package that I composed:

Grooved discs
Extra zink treatment
Yellowstuff pads
Mintex lubricant
Goodridge hoses

Price is 299.99 GBP + postage (60 to Norway.
I might give it a shot.
Why would you want 'zinc treatment' ?

As for other replacement rear disks, I'd get a set of stock ones and find a friendly machinist to cross drill or groove them. It's bound to be much cheaper than most of the after market stuff ?!

Paul

GTi-R23

I've got grooved Black Diamonds on the back of mine, got a really good price as I know someone in the trade so it wasn't too bad, but yeah £180 is a bit steep, they've been really good though, no issues at all.

The extra zinc treatment is to prevent the disk going rusty where the pads don't touch it (I think) EBC do the a similar thing iirc, although i don't think it works all that well.

Paul's is a good idea about getting a machine shop to groove a set of std disks. I still hold the opinion that the rear brakes are not nearly as important as the fronts, so I'd say as long as you have good std disks and pads at the rear it should suffice. How would you know if you were glazing the rears if the fronts are working spot on?

youngsyp

GTi-R23 said:
The extra zinc treatment is to prevent the disk going rusty where the pads don't touch it (I think) EBC do the a similar thing iirc, although i don't think it works all that well.
That's the theory. But, as you say, it doesn't work.
Galvanising (the non dumbed down term for zinc coating) is a waste of money on brake disks as the go through too many variables. They get heat cycled, covered in brake dust and road grime etc...
Galvanising doesn't even work on steel fences and they only go through weather variables !

GTi-R23 said:
I still hold the opinion that the rear brakes are not nearly as important as the fronts, so I'd say as long as you have good std disks and pads at the rear it should suffice. How would you know if you were glazing the rears if the fronts are working spot on?
I agree that the rear brakes don't add much to the overall braking effort but, they are very important for braking stability.
If you go for large, multi piston front brakes and leave the rears as stock, the car will dive and 'squirm' more than it would with an equivalent uprating of the rear brakes.
To kind of reinforce that theory, after yesterdays track action, my rear disks still had the pad marks on them from having the handbrake applied all week.
So, the pads are either very glazed (possible as I had issues with the handbrake sticking on in the past) or, the pressure applied by the rear calipers is quite low ?! The pads are definitely wearing at the rear though !

Paul

GTI R RA

Been on holliday, but it is nice to see some activity here :)
The zink was not expensive so I will give it a shot anyway.

red reading

youngsyp said:
Galvanising doesn't even work on steel fences and they only go through weather variables !

IPaul
medway galvanising in kent 25 year warenty on there hot dip galvanising remeber it's only a coating much like paint so if you scrape thru it to the metal underneath it will rust, i do agree though that it's not worth doing on brake disc's galvanised product's give of cyanide fumes when heated up to red hot too