exaust manifold bolt sheered

kyepan

hi there,

I have noticed a bolt has sheered on the exaust manifold (far right hand side), how do i go about gaining access in front. and how do i remove it..

have herd people mentioning drilling and tapping in the past. is that correct.

many thanks

JB

A

AJ4

Depends on how much of the thread is visible above the block ? If there is a bit, you could try mole grips, or file some flats on it and use a spanner.

If it is flush with the block, you will need a screw extractor kit. Basically you just drill a hole in the middle of the bolt, and the extracter screws into the middle ( it has a left hand thread ). Then when it is tight, you should be able to spanner the extractor and the bolt will come out ( in theory ;) )

The other alternative like you said above is to completely drill the bolt out and re-tap it. Have to be careful though, as it usually leaves a 'sloppy' hole ( oo-er missus :D )

kyepan

thanks ross, i think we will have to drill the bolt and use the extractor kit, cause its sheered below the surface. thanks for your help

J

Jamz

Is there something up with that stud ? On both my engines that particular one is broken. :?

GINGA

another way is the put a few blobs of weld on the end of the stud then weld a nut to that and wind out the stud normally (after letting stud cool down a while)