Elecrical Issue - Cannot Start Car

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Ant :thumbsup:

Andy :doh::cry:

Well done Aimee!

Today I've sent, 4 alloys, 4 tyres, a 2 year old and a heavily pregnant woman (Jill) off to get my tyres swapped whilst my alloys are refurbbed. The gold wheels will be gone and powder coated with more inconspicuous silver. Its my daily commute car :doh: at the moment so I want something that is less bling :oops:.

Aside from that I've got an oil change, toe check, mapping check and general check to do. All my best laid plans for setting up the car etc will have to wait and I will settle for doing more than 1 lap and driving home under my own steam.

Last edited:

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Without going off too much from Ant's thread...

Basically, I was out bedding in my pads, at high rev's there was a fluttering sounds and the lights dimmed as the belt shredded itself. :sad:

Checked the pulley, just to note it’s not an OEM unit but a CDF Racing unit.
I pulled all the shredded bits away, some in the engine bay, others wrapped round the pulley. Power steering belt is untouched or damaged and pulley seems to be perfect condition. There was fresh oil that looked like it has been sprayed from somewhere.
Looking at the pulley it seems clean (even behind the unit) but the splatter marks are on the suspension arm...

Need to take the unit off later tonight and I will inspect the pulley more closely, making sure that it’s not damaged internally.

Just to add (Ant) my oil cooler lines are on the other side of the engine bay and they are all in order.

Brakes are still spongy, possible air still in the system, pads need further bedding in (doubt it) or there is a small leak.
Just going to do a general inspection this week/weekend

antgtir

The topic has now evolved into a moan about R's and their impeccable timing with regards to breakages :lol:

Sorry to hear the problems Andy, Stu, Jim :doh:

Ant.

ChrisS

Looking at the pulley it seems clean (even behind the unit) but the splatter marks are on the suspension arm...

Need to take the unit off later tonight and I will inspect the pulley more closely, making sure that it’s not damaged internally.

If the oils on the suspension arm have you checked its not a cv boot thats gone. Could just be coincidence that the 2 things have happened around the same time.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
The topic has now evolved into a moan about R's and their impeccable timing with regards to breakages :lol:

Sorry to hear the problems Andy, Stu, Jim :doh:

Ant.
Only teasing Ant ;-)

I think Stu and I should be okay, just details to sort. Hopefully Andy can sort his out as well.

Aimee

Moderators
Staff member
Bloody cars :chained:.

Ant darling, thanks for the public apology, now get your arse into gear and sort this friggin kitchen out :lol:;-)

Im really looking foward to the track day now, fingers crossed and touching wood (not ants :lol:) everyones R's stay in one piece :-D

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
You haven't fitted a new stereo recently have you?

Also, if you haven't already, check the state and security of the headlight connectors. They tend to cause strange effects when they're loose or the earth is slowly burning out.

My lorry had a problem last year where for some reason the fuel pump was spiking the ecu and blowing it. It caused running problems over 2000rpm (2600limit), it only took Volvo 7 weeks to find it.:doh:

Last edited:

antgtir

You haven't fitted a new stereo recently have you?

Also, if you haven't already, check the state and security of the headlight connectors. They tend to cause strange effects when they're loose or the earth is slowly burning out.

My lorry had a problem last year where for some reason the fuel pump was spiking the ecu and blowing it. It caused running problems over 2000rpm (2600limit), it only took Volvo 7 weeks to find it.:doh:
I havent fitted a new radio recently but in the past i have had to replace a headlight connector as it started to melt and got so brittle it fell apart in my hands whilst changing a bulb.

Good point and very much worth a check. Many thanks Carl :thumbsup:

Ant.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
If the oils on the suspension arm have you checked its not a cv boot thats gone. Could just be coincidence that the 2 things have happened around the same time.
Nope I was wrong, found a small hole where the belts have damaged it

Good call :thumb: