Does anyone have Intercooler spray

T

Triple-R

Hi, Just wondered if anyone had bought or made their own intercooler spray. If you have could you please give some details.

I am thinking about building a kit for my car, deciding on whether to use a spray bar or a number of jets, i need to provide the best distribution of water to the whole fmic.

oh yeah does anyone use aquamist?

thanks

celm

why dont you get the STI intercooler sprayer.the STI is a top mount intercooler also.that should work on the GTIR

skiddusmarkus

I have and it cost me about a tenner to make it.It basicly consists of a screenwash reservoir from a Maestro(Fastguy knows all about these),some fishtank air pipe and the nozzles from Tesco spray disenfectant(other brands can be used).
I mounted it in the O/S of the boot and wired a switch to it by the gearstick and earthed it on the boot floor.Flash gits could use a pressure switch of the intercooler piping/inlet manifold.
I experimented with differing amounts of nozzles and found that 2 with 2 pumps working toether provided a good atomization and enough water to cover all my fmic.The nozzles were mounted on little L shaped brackets I made from steel with 2 holes drilled in them-1 for the nozzle and one for a self tapping screw which holds them to the bumper brace.I bent the steel to get the angle of spray.
It works well but the pumps burnt out(quality,Austin are).I bought 2 replcements but decided to try taking a feed off the washer jets already on the car.Tried a basic version of this this out at the Pod and it worked fine-where when I turned the wipers on it sprayed water onto the intercooler.People werewondering why my wipers were on all the time in the queue though :oops: .

Keira

I've got the aquamist 1s system sitting upstairs with my ever increasing pile of bits that i havn't fitted :? Looks simple enough to fit, ordered mine direct from ERL and it turned up the very next day.

Olly and memski are both using the aquamist kit.

coxie

i have made my own it is using a screenwash reservoir mounted in the front left wing and the cap for filling up is in the engine bay(can be seen in the photos of stuart's gti-r in members cars. it use some 6mm petrol hose and three washer jets from a new polo as they spray in a fan shape.. there is a difference with it fitted definately. and the switch is mounted inside the car on the dash and lights up when in use.

P

pschurr

I tested a crude water-spray down at Phillip Island last weekend. Last timed session, and I was hitting speed marks a good 50 metres quicker down Gardener Straight, and up to Lukey Heights. Wicked.

I just re-connected the windscreen sprayer line to a line I cable-tied onto the rubber thing on the bonnet. Single garden sprayer onto the centre of the IC. I'm gonna use a 555 switch and capacitor to make a pulse oscillator... 5sec on, 10sec off, etc, etc, and connect it to the window washer switch loom. Pulled the connector off the wiper motor. Will just turn it on for track work.

Over 4 laps of the PI track and holding the window-washer stalk as much as I could (!!!!) I sucked 2 litres of water from the factory window washer ressy.

peter

T

Triple-R

Thanks for the replies. I think the main problem i am gonna have is mounting the bottle, but as one of you has said the boot is free.

I spoke to a guy a JAE from Fensport that was using Aquamist and he has it staged and was able to cut the temperature within the inlet plenum by almost 50%, which is excellent. I would love to get aquamist but i am not keeping my car for much longer. :(

skiddusmarkus

Do you mean waterspray or water injection?No need for an Aquamist system for this.You can run an additional nozzle off it for watersparay though.
Peter-I had it fitted with my old topmount too and it soon filled up the top of the cam cover :oops: .

T

Triple-R

I mean both. :D
Of course aquamist is water injection, and waterspray is what i and everyone else refers to as intercooler spray.

But the prinicple of both is the same, to cool air hence making it more dense before it enters the throttle bodies.

My bros WRX RA has a top mount with the i/c spray as std and it makes a massive difference, also its alright for him as he does not need to worry about getting the water into his cam covers. Obiviously though the I/C spray is going to make a more significant increase in performance on a top mount i/c compared to a FMIC.

Keira

[Triple-R"]

But the prinicple of both is the same, to cool air hence making it more dense before it enters the throttle bodies.

A water spray onto the intercooler is cooling the surface area of the intercooler which as it evaporates will absorb heat from the metal core and is not directly effecting the boosted air, its making the intercooler better at dissipating heat.

An in cylinder water injection kit is directly dissipating the heat from the boosted air and i would've thought show much better efficiency and gains.

T

Triple-R

kieron said:
A water spray onto the intercooler is cooling the surface area of the intercooler which as it evaporates will absorb heat from the metal core and is not directly effecting the boosted air, its making the intercooler better at dissipating heat.

An in cylinder water injection kit is directly dissipating the heat from the boosted air and i would've thought show much better efficiency and gains.
So you tell me that the air that is going through the intercooler that is better at dissipating heat, will not be cooled more?

What do you mean by in cylinder water injection kit? Aquamist works by firing a fine mist of water into the inlet manifold, this coolers the air and as air cools it becomes more dense, thus more power.

Yes aquamist is better than an intercooler spray in terms of cooling air, but it also costs more and takes more time to setup.

Keira

The intercooler works by having cooling air passing through fins which are attached to hollow bars where the boosted air passes through. The intercooler is only as efficient as its design, and air can only dispense heat at a certain rate. Obviously the structure of the intercooler will get hot as it absorbs heat from the boosted air.

Water is far better than air at dissipating heat, thats a scientific fact...By spraying water onto the intercooler the water absorbs the heat from the structure and evaporates and cools, thus enhancing the efficiency of the intercooler which in turn cools the boosted air.

The water isn't in anyway in contact with the boosted air. It's in contact with the intercooler.

Water injection works by having a fine mist of water sprayed into the boosted air after it has passed through the intercooler which evaporates and removes the heat very efficiently, 'in cylinder' is just another name for the process.

Much more can be read in my latest book,

'Kieron talks bollox about cooling charge temps'

Available from all good bookshops for £19.99 ready for christmas :)

T

Triple-R

LOL Keiron youre a joker :lol:

Everyone knows that an I/C spray does not make contact with the boosted air, IF IT DID YOU'D HAVE NO BOOST. :D

Where do i get your book from?

I'd like to meet you sometime, you sound like a good laugh.

T

T11EWL

Actually, water-injection is used to stop you blowing your pistons to pieces if the engine is running high boost and gets so hot that the air/fuel mix 'explodes' rather than 'burns'...

of course, a bonus side-effect is that it also cools the intake (a little) and helps more air into the engine (but not much more) :)

G

gotoinstant-redline

sort of..

water injection is an anti det measure. just like the intercooler. allowing you to run more boost in both cases.
its not there to stop things blowing up as such. its more there to allow you to run higher boost.

the norris designs evo 7 has water injection but hardly ever uses it even when running full power. its only there as a safty feature.

you dont need it and lots of people have got big power without it. but it can help defend against a poorley mapped car detting or getting too hot and detting.

T

tom_dot_com

I've got a fairly Big front mount intercooler, and will soon be running 1.2 bar. How much gain do you reakon I would see from a two nozzle intercooler spray, home made but well setup?

I would guess maybe 10bhp at 30 degrees
and 2bhp at 5degrees?

What do you guys think?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I think this must be one of the longest gaps between posts 2 years 7 months:roll:

If your intercooler is a decent one, you may struggle to see more than a couple of bhp as it's doing it's job well already. You won't gain 10bhp from dropping the temp 30degs if that's what you mean.

T

tom_dot_com

yea, it does seem todo its job well, because no matter how hard you thrash it, the pipe leaving the cooler is always freezing, I think I won't bother with the water spray for now, cheers for the reply, and yea I was just searchin through old posts and came across this.