Do all forged pistons sound like a diesel ?

radiobar

hi !

in my car i have arias pistons and they knock like
a diesel when car is cold. after a while its fine.

what about JE pistons ?
are they noisy too ?

we now have a piston damage and we think
that the engine shop did standard clearance.

this engine never knocked like mine.
and ran only around 2500 miles.

thanks

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
I put up a post about pistons, clearances and materials.. Have a look.. It explains all..

Rishi

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
I've posted this up before but for the benefit of those who are too lazy to search..

Its to do with the various metals used 2618 and 4032 and the different ways in which these work and react in different applications and how this in turn affects your clearance, niose, performance and wear...

4032 - is a low silicon piston. These are more for street applications. Low silicon pistons expand less and so can run tight clearances as with the likes of HKS. However the 4032 piston can become brittle under extreme stress and crack. If the 4032 starts to crack it continues and causes mass failiure.

2618 - is a zero silicon piston. There are more for higher power/pressure applications. Zero silicon pistons expand more and so require greater piston to wall clearance like the JE and CP for example. This can make them a little more noisy on cold start up. However they will handle greater pressures. In the unlikely case where a 2618 piston were to develop a crack it would lead to a lower point of stress and stop. The piston would still work fine..

Rishi

Keira

cold start noise is more down to the position of the wrist pin, offest pins will reduce slap, thus noise

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
RishiGTiR said:
2618 - is a zero silicon piston. There are more for higher power/pressure applications. Zero silicon pistons expand more and so require greater piston to wall clearance like the JE and CP for example. This can make them a little more noisy on cold start up. However they will handle greater pressures. In the unlikely case where a 2618 piston were to develop a crack it would lead to a lower point of stress and stop. The piston would still work fine..
The question is why you would want to run a noisy set of CP or JE pistons made from 2618 when you can run an equally good if not better set of Wiseco pistons made from 2618 with offset wrist pins that are quiet.

Steve

P

pulsarboby

stu-gtir said:
Whats a wrist pin?
its the gudgeon pin! runs through the piston and holds the small end shell, just another name for it!

radiobar

hi !

its ok.
my engine runs for around 16000 miles now. no problems.
but in winter you think you have a bad diesel.

i will send some pics from the damage later.
we removed the head today.

bye.

ashills

stevepudney said:
The question is why you would want to run a noisy set of CP or JE pistons made from 2618 when you can run an equally good if not better set of Wiseco pistons made from 2618 with offset wrist pins that are quiet.

Steve
true race engines will run a centre pin thats why je use them as far as know

but in the evo i had JE's and they were quiet as a mouse on start up

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
ashills said:
true race engines will run a centre pin thats why je use them as far as know

but in the evo i had JE's and they were quiet as a mouse on start up
OK, that told me then :lol: