DIY Charge Cooler!

P

paulrandy

Thinking about building a charge cooler and just wondered if anyone 's had experience with them? ie what size i'll need and stuff. Also I need your thought on whether i could use the air con rad as the pre rad? what do ya reckon?

Before anyone asks why, I just want to do something different and show of my ally fabrication skills or lack of whichever way it turns out! Plus i reckon i could put one together for around the 300 quid mark if the air con rad is up to it.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
They did this back in the days when Fast Car was a semi technical magazine. They used an aircon core off something for the internal cooling bit and welded up an ally box around it.
There's no reason whey you can't use the aircon rad as the pre rad, but it's probably abit overkill for the job.
You just need to find a suitable heat exchanger for the business end and then put it in a box and make the whole thing so it fit's in the induction system somewhere after the turbo.

P

paulrandy

Well i was planning on having a word with PACE see if they'll sell me a core, ive had ic cores before so i dont see why not.
I was looking under the bonnet today, if i move the battery to the boot and move the filter forward it should free up plenty of space.

jameswrx2

My mate had one on his Sunny gtir, it was put on years ago (prob circa 94). Pace were involved with it. It used the std top mount with an alloy water jacket welded round it, it had a Pace pump, swirl pot, boost pressure switch (to activate pump) and a Pace radiator to cool the water. Pump packed up once and we sourced a caravan shower pump to replace it which seemed to do the job (for about 1/10th the price lol).

His car ran 16psi for years.