Crankpulley and airconpulley.

A

ADEGTIR

Started my car up this morning had a strange noise. Had alook and saw the crankpulley and the airconpulley dident seem to be turning. I put new belts on a month a go. but car runs fine did 20 mile park up no noise.

Shaun

:D Hi mate,it could be that the vulcanized section of the crankpulley has broken down :wink: ,it did this on my little Bro's car when he bought it,we got half way up the M6 and the abs light and battery light came on :wink: Cost £70 for a second hand one and iirc Nissan wanted over £200 :shock: :shock:

A

ADEGTIR

Thanks mate but i never so no lights come on but i will check it out. But what about the aircon pulley.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The crank pulley must be turning if the engine is running, so as suggested above, the rubber part may have broken down. Check the obvious tho ie the retaining bolt hasn't come undo and it's about to fall off.

If it isn't turning then none of your pulleys will be turning, ie waterpump as well, so don't run the engine like this.

A

ADEGTIR

The only pulley i can see not working at all is the aircon pulley it is not turning at all.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I'm getting confused now :? The belt goes around the crank pully, the alternator pulley and the aircon pulley. It has a magnetic clutch that engages when the aircon is turned on, but it should still be freewheeling when it's off (assuming I'm understanding the set up correctly)

So assuming the belt is turning the aircon pulley must be seized ? but then it should be making the belt squeal (unless it's slack) and burning it out/off with friction.

A

ADEGTIR

NO squeal ckecked the belt it is fine but air con pulley not going round. Thanks 4 the help mate.

warringtonjack

Just had similar problem. Hell of a grinding noise coming from the belt area. Thought it was alternator bearing at first but turns out it was the aircon pulley was knackered. One very cheap 'short' belt later and the aircon is bypassed. Allowing me to rip it all out as and when i get the inclination! :lol: :roll:

A

ADEGTIR

My air con pulley is duff can i realy by pass the air con 4 now with a shorter belt. and if yes what size belt do i need. But do i need to remove the air con to fit the shorter belt.

A

ADEGTIR

Thanks mate but i was told 845e u said use 825e which is the correct belt.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The 845e will fit because I have one. However...... the alternator is at the limit of it's adjustment, so I have an 825e belt waiting to go on when I can be bothered. I haven't tried so can't 100% say it will fit, but I think it should. For the price of them, buy both just in case. Try the 825e first and if it goes on, get a refund on the 845e :wink:

J

jpward

Try a motor factors ask for a 6ply belt at 828 or 830 length, doesnt matter what the vehicle code is as this is simply perfect on the middle off the adjuster and hey no squeaks!

When you were looking at your aircon pully were you looking at it side on?? as you will be looking straight on at your triangular electro clutch which doesent turn! unless aircon is on off course and only outer pully moves all the time, try marking with a dot of paint when engine off on the edge off the pully the starting to see if its moving!

But with aircon off you'll save 20kg on the nose and some skin off your knuckles! hehe but hardest bit is that lump off pig iron on the block number four bolt is half behind the turbo so stubby 14mm ratchet spanner is the best tool for the job! :wink:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I have a stepped ring spanner (whatever you call them) and it got onto that bolt under the turbo a piece of wee wee :wink: