Clogged Injectors

G

GTI-R

Dudes,

Alright, tricky one that has gone on since I bought the car almost 6 years ago (that is scarey to type :shock: )...

Every now and then the car gradually becomes sluggish, loses low-end power. I add some Injector Cleaner like STP and the car flies again. So basically I periodically add STP to it every 2-3,000 miles.

Now I've asked in the past why this is and the top possible, plausible answers are:

We have bad quality fuel here (possible but not all the time, surely)

The car doesn't get to high enough speeds/temperatures due to the 35mph limit and no motorways.

Now for a stupid question...Will fitting larger injectors improve things? If they possibly could, how easy are they to fit?

Cheers,

E

Edd

Have you had the injectors ultra sonically cleaned and tested?

Bigger injectors might help but do you have sufficient management on your car to tell it you have bigger injectors?

Possibly start using octane booster with your fuel?

dodgy fuel pump?

MarkTurbo

Maybe your fuel tank is full of crap :?: That could explain why the injectors keep clogging up.

When i changed my fuel pump the amount of shit in the tank was unbelievable :?

G

GTI-R

Edd, I have a Unichip but no where here to professionally clean the Injectors.

Mark, Sounds interesting about the fuel tank, how can I flush it?

Cheers,

Caleb

MarkTurbo

I think to clean the tank out properly you'd have to take it off, which is a bitch of a job i think :? I just used an old astra gte fuel pump with a bit of hose on the end to get down in the bottom of the tank and suck most of the crap out :wink:

I used to go through fuel filters every fews months before i did this, it seems ok now though 8)

We've got an ultrasonic cleaner at work and i've been thinking about chucking my injectors in it. Just need to find out what fluid you should use in it for injectors. Are any of the internals of the injectors rubber? Cos i think the fluid we use will eat it if there is :shock:

G

GTI-R

If I get larger injectors then will they have a smaller possibility of clogging as they are ables to flow more. Or is the difference insignificant in a situation like this?

BTW, my car is now on 109K so there is a chance that there is some real dirt in the tank.

Cheers,

MarkTurbo

I would have thought that it would still be possible for larger injectors to get clogged :?:

I think my car had done about 115,000 miles when i cleaned the tank out, and it was pretty dirty inside :shock:

G

GTI-R

So, it is best for me to get some type of pump and pump out the tank then, any tips/suggestions Dude?

Cheers,

MarkTurbo

Have a look in the tank and see how dirty it is first (easier when theres not much petrol in the car). All the crap in mine was settled in the bottom around where the strainer on the end of the fuel pump sits :shock:

If there is any crap, to suck it out you just want some kind of inline pump that you can attach a bit of hose onto either end :wink: Just make sure if you use an old fuel pump like i did that its not too close to the tank, just incase you get a spark off any of the connections :shock: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

zia

fitting big injectors would be overkill for type of drving you do, also do you check for plug fouling, low speed with cold or luke warm driving will occasionally cause faults like these to occur. ideally you need get off that island of yours and give it death on the mainland :wink: :lol:
oh does it get humid on island,? because that,ll will also cause sluggish and lack of power.
zia

Keira

Powerbase in ashford kent 01233610014 will clean them, just send them in the post and tell them what size they are, what they're off and what you want doing.