checking standard head bolts!

pulsar paul

hi guys. any one know what the limit of the standard head bolts should be? checking to see if i can reuse them and that there not stretched. cheers

boost

i wouldnt use them. they stress when there torqued up and also think of how many times they have got hot and cooled down etc. personally i wouldnt but everyones different.

jjs

i have reused them in the past with no problems, im sure it is listed in the autodat that they dont have to be renewed , (could be wrong )

Dangerous Dave

Dont reuse them get your hand in your pocket and dig that £120 out for a new set! ok some people might reuse them and i will hold me hand up and say that i have reused them on the likes of a fiesta,corsa ect but i would never reuse them on my pulsar!

pulsar paul

well im going to be running standard boost etc with standard head gasket. ive had the pulsar for a few months now and aint driven it. if i find out that there in spec,im going to reuse them .cheers for the input

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'm pretty sure I read Boby's advice on this; you can re-use them at least once, but if you don't know the providence don't risk it and buy new ones. If you put them in last rebuild, then it's safe to use them again.

That's might not be exactly what he said, but I'm pretty sure it's the gist of it... and he's in France at the moment and can't dispute what I've said.

RO_SUNNY

My opinion is that you should change them with some brand new bolts.
It doesn't matter how many times they were heated and cooled (actually the temperature is quite constant).....anyway ay 100 degrees there nothing hapening with them.....if you wuld heated and cooled them at approx 550 degrees then there might be a brittle metallic structure.

I remember from some old mechanical books in which there was stated that the head bolts are only for one use....after that you need to change them

pulsar paul

spoke to nissan themselves. they said that there is no spec on the head bolts and to go out and buy some up rated ones lol. dam it.looks like another month before i get it back together!!

red reading

which uprated ones shall i get and where from.
Just buy new standard ones You will be surprised to hear how many of us that still use them in high power cars as they are very strong,ARP have issue's in our engine's and many a car has had problems with them so don't use them (unless you want to take the engine apart again!!)

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
My head gasket just went last week, can anyone tell me where I can buy the standard head bolts ?
Have you tried a place called "Nissan"? I hear they sell parts for these cars... although Lawny tells me it should be Ford.

goshko

well here in Canada, dealers dont have the part inventory for these cars, so you need to call them and give them the part number so they can order them ... but thanks for replying

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
The search tool says.... "Cylinder head bolts------11056-54C00"
When I put that in google I get "CanadaGTiR.com"; now I can't be sure, but I'd guess they might know where to get the parts in Canada.

skiddusmarkus

I have studs in mine, AFAIK they don't stretch so can be reused.The garage that built my engine sourced them from Tony Bardi IIRC.