changing head gasket

nismoboy

Whats the easyest way of doing this :?: is it easier to take the engine out? or can it be done with the engline left in? cheers nis.

GINGA

Engine in is quicker but alittle more ackward, engine out is more work but alittle easier.

nismoboy

how do u get the head off with out taking the cam chain off the crank?
is it possible to remove the head and cams with out having to completely remove the cam chain? ie just mark up the position of cams and chain and remove then take off the head? Or have i got to completely remove the chain off the crank?

ashills

to release the chain from cams just undo the 2 bolts on side of tensioner and remove tensioner thats what i did u can lock treh tensioner back in place but not really worth it as its only a pair of ten mil bolts once thats loose u can mar cam position etc then undo bolts on end of cams or maybe able to just take chain off then

nismoboy

cheers, all im worried about is the chain coming off the crank? when i realease the chain off the cam sprockets will the chain drop off the crank? is there anyway of keeping it on the crank when its removed from the cam sprockets?

N

Norfy

nismoboy said:
cheers, all im worried about is the chain coming off the crank? when i realease the chain off the cam sprockets will the chain drop off the crank? is there anyway of keeping it on the crank when its removed from the cam sprockets?
done a head gasket on monday, got another to do next week :)

take the engine out firstly, so much easier.

set the crank timing mark up on the pulley with the pointer above it (i usually put paint marks on aswell to be sure when refitting)

take rocker cover off,
with the chain on the cam sprocketts, i always use large cable ties to hold the sprokett to the chain. this makes it easier when rebuilding. also you can pull the sprocketts thru the head with the tail of the cable tie when refitting (makes it a little easier)

undo the tensoiner, undo the cam sproketts (24mm bolts, 27mm spanner on the camshafts to hold in place)

just remove everything else.

you cant really get it wrong when refitting this way.

Norfy

O

Olly

cable tie cam pulley trick works 4 me 2, fit a new tensioner to mate cos nissan had some troubles with them early on, and a chain if poss, i know some unlucky r owner who's chain snapped (know you don't hear that every day do you?) :shock:

MarkTurbo

I've never heard of a chain snapping :shock: but i put a new chain and tensioner on when i did my headgasket just to be on the safe side :wink:

I think i paid about £35 for the tensioner and £75 for the chain, that was from Nissan.

nismoboy

Olly said:
cable tie cam pulley trick works 4 me 2, fit a new tensioner to mate cos nissan had some troubles with them early on, and a chain if poss, i know some unlucky r owner who's chain snapped (know you don't hear that every day do you?) :shock:
nice one thanks for that. :wink: