castrol gtx magnatec engine oil 10w-40

Ive read if you go for a 10w-40, get a good quality one
mild modded ave driven

Is the above ok?

Cheers Rob

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
No no no!...

Stick to Ester based oils... Silkoline PRO 10w/50 is your best bet...

I used a 10w/40 for running in my engine... You can use it for normal use but if you plan on using your car like it should be used then use a 10w/50 ester based oil...

Rishi

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Well i think it would be too thin for your engine... And its ability to work well at higher oil temps...

Best person to speak to about this would be Oilman @ www.opieoils.co.uk

Rishi

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
sypher said:
Rishi, why is it not recomended to use this oil?
Because it's rubbish !!!

If you've already put it in your car, get it out as soon as possible, it WILL kill your engine.

Like they all say below use the Silkoline PRO 10w/50 or at least the millers 10w/60 or Castrol RS Formula 10w/60.

R

Reason

cheers fellors, il go Silkoline PRO 10w/50 with the majority...

CruiseGTi-R

Utter bollocks. GTX Magnatec is fine for a car on stock boost/1bar.

I've run it for 20k+, even with oil temps sustained up to 110deg.

Just change it often :-D .

paz

Its fine in my car as well, and its been in for years - probably around 6 or 7 to be precise.

I know people who use it in their evo's etc as well without a problem.

Paz

CruiseGTi-R

A lot of marketing hype about bloody oils.

With regard to wear you might see a difference over 100,000 miles. But what makes me laugh is that before the engine actually wears out you've re-built the bloody engine and replaced the turbo.

Worms wriggling.

ex-gtir

well im sorry but i must be wrong because i do and always have run 10 40 magnatec in all my engines includeing my evo at circa 400 bhp and same torque on forged internals and have never had trouble yet i put 10 60 millers fully syn and spun a bearing in a week dont know if it was just coincedence
ever since have run 15k with no problem at all

oilman

You can use the GTX 10w-40, but in terms of an engine like this that can run hot is really not up to the job, especially if the car is modded or driven hard.

The GTX 10w-40 will have trouble staying in grade after or around the 105dec mark, dont be fooled that a lower quality mineral based oil is as good as a genuine synthetic if changed more often, this is just not the case.

The good thing about the 10w-50 grade, especially the Silkolene one is its such a good all round grade, covers everyhtng from, mods to hard use/track (happy running at 150dec and above) and also ideal for day to day driving.

Cheers

Guy.