Brake changes for a non racing GTIR

vpulsar

I agree with Martin if you want peace of mind you need to bin the lot and start again, That's what I did with my last one and this new one is having pretty much the same treatment.

Rob

BMCC

I prefer blank discs on the road aswell. Brembo have never been a bad choice

You can do the evo caliper clio disc mod and fit them under 15" wheels.

Before you change the brakes i would also recommend a new brake master cylinder.

Start from the top.

People say the stock set up is shite but 20 year old brakes are never going to at their best.

My recomendation would be the same as what andy says,

But consider when changing brake fluid fitting reconditioned / new

brake m/c
And calipers
This makes sense although I've never changed a Master Brake Cylinder before, I've always tried to keep it full when bleeding brakes etc! I don't think my car has ABS so this should make it easier I suppose. I'd have to look into it.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Maybe it's time I tried a new M/C in mine too. - Looks like a royal pain to change though.

MarkTurbo

What are the main reasons for the Calipers not working? Do the pistons/sliders sieze or is it something else?
Its common for the front and rear sliders to seize, best to take them apart now and again and give them a clean up and re grease. I've never seen any front pistons seize but the rears are well known for it ;-)

DS2500 work also
That all depends how you define "work" :lol:

Jon Olds

'Work' as in can fling you out of the seat into the full harness from 100mph on the edge of locking on red hot tyres predictably time and again.
I was quite surprised when we used DS2500 fronts in for the Turnbull Trophy rally at albermarle in july.
To give you an idea of how much grip there was it used a pair of 205/50 888's
fronts in 40 miles. May have seen another stage before canvas. (So, that's as new condition to the tread wear indicators in 40 miles).
Jon
Shame the gearbox halted proceedings

red reading

Now try the same from 150mph , mine disintegrated when I used them and gave me a warped disc feeling thru the steering, what discs are you using Jon as disc material has a massive effect on pad performance.

Jon Olds

Yeah, understand the difference in speed. 100mph is all we generally get to, as they add chicanes to slow us down. For them to disintegrate they must have got too hot, mustn't they? Ferodo give the temp graphs. Is cooling air the issue? I have had, and sometimes still have problems with rear pads overheating and breaking up, due to inadequate air flow I think.
You'll laugh at the discs. I have lovely proper AP calipers and tiny lttle 280*22 Golf G60 one piece discs, so I can get 15's on.
The discs get a real scudding...
Jon

DS2500's seem to like discs with a real high carbon content to the iron. Also I've only ever used them with grooved rotors, but find them to be a very good fast road pad for the money on all the applications I've tried them on

gtir_pimp

Now try the same from 150mph , mine disintegrated when I used them and gave me a warped disc feeling thru the steering, what discs are you using Jon as disc material has a massive effect on pad performance.

ha, im suprised these old sheds dont disintegrate vdoing that speed!

warpspeed

I get a small discount with Carbotech as a new dealer, if you choose to go for them..

I'm just South of Glasgow at Kilbirnie, pop in for a visit if your passing..

BMCC

I get a small discount with Carbotech as a new dealer, if you choose to go for them..

I'm just South of Glasgow at Kilbirnie, pop in for a visit if your passing..
If I get the pads I might just do that.They quoted me just shy of £200 for the front pads, so any discount would be good.

Superduck

I have a set of xp10 for sale. Scott at warpspeed has them in his possession. Only done a track day, well half of one......gearbox went.

using evo calipers now.

I am sure scott would would fit them for a good price.

craig