Boost Problem

GTiR_Mic

Just fitted my new Forge acuator and rod the other day (Well Rob fitted it for me)

Took it out today and it was running fine (was supposed to be a 1 bar acuator but it is running less), the problem is when I am using my boost controller on High Boost it is holding 1.2 bar fine but i don't have much letf in to controller to turbi it up more, it is near the max bit (Greddy ProfB, the first one)

The boost is holding fine at full boost but i am wnting to run more, low boost is only going to 0.7 bar but it won't go any higer than that.

On the old set up I could run 1,4 bar easliy but I don't have a clue what is wrong here.

Anyone got any ideas on the problem?

Mic

O

Odin

What we would like to know from one of you turbo experts, Is could the waste gate not being held tight enough cause this problem (if there is one) ?.

Before I take it all apart again to wind a couple more turns on the actuator rod, I'd like to know if there is a problem to start with lol.

Rob

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Rob/Mic,

Just as an experiment to eliminate the wastegate you could try just pulling the vac pipe off the top of the actuator then you will run the boost the actuator is set at and if that doesn't work you could try wiring the wastegate shut.
Get a loop of strong wire (I used some welding wire) and from the passenger side of the car feed the wire in behind the turbo/actuator and put the loop over the lever on the end of the wastegate rod, then secure the other end to something up by the actuator head, then just make sure the wire is really tight, so to allow no movement of the wastegate. You will have to be careful and use your right foot as the boost control and keep an eye on your boost gauge.

As rob knows the usual setting for the actuator rod is 1/2 - 3/4 of a hole but it won't hurt to be slightly more than 3/4's

Dan_GTiR

stevepudney said:
As rob knows the usual setting for the actuator rod is 1/2 - 3/4 of a hole but it won't hurt to be slightly more than 3/4's
Actuator should be set at half a hole. That is plenty of preload to keep the wastegate closed.

O

Odin

Dan_GTiR said:
Actuator should be set at half a hole. That is plenty of preload to keep the wastegate closed.
I've set it at half a hole, But this wasn't enough for mine own turbo and I had to have nearly a whole hole before it would stay closed lol.

Rob