boost gauge hose - where to feed through bulkhead??

D

DodgeT

as above, trying to fit my autometer gauge, but can i find anywhere to poke the hose through the bulkhead, can i chuff :(

where do you go through????

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Can someone tell us where the "spare grommet" on the bulkhead (I think) is so I can put a decent boost gauge in too. :wink:

J

J-GTi-R

Dunno where the soare grommet is, but there's one on the firewall just below the fuel filter. I think the rest of the loom goes through it, but that's where my boost gauge hose goes through, it comes out just under the bottom\of the glovebox

D

DodgeT

im just gonna go out the side of the bonnet, up the middle of the windscreen then down through the sunroof

thats gotta be easier than tryin to get in there to get that bloomin hose through.....

i wish i was a midget :?

J

J-GTi-R

DodgeT said:
im just gonna go out the side of the bonnet, up the middle of the windscreen then down through the sunroof

thats gotta be easier than tryin to get in there to get that bloomin hose through.....

i wish i was a midget :?
PMSL!! Yeah should look good too!

The grommet I used is quite easy to find, but you do have to take the intercooler off, dump valve pipes off and move the fuel filter out of the way.

M

memski

Iirc there's a grommet above the ecu where all the harness wires come through. Also if you don't have a/c anymore you can use that hole behind the glovebox 8)

J

J-GTi-R

memski said:
Also if you don't have a/c anymore you can use that hole behind the glovebox 8)
Yeah but that's a pig to get to from the inside of the car.

S

Sirnixalot

or you could pop a small hole in the grommet for the throttle cable?? thats whati did

D

DodgeT

had enough for tonight, i first pulled the front of the dash out to get the std gauges out only to find that the std boost gauge is electric otherwise i was gonna use that hose....

car is going in garage again tomorow to have the bits they knackered changed, so will have a look then while its up on the ramps, should make things a bit easier.. :)

accel cable hole sounds like that should be quite easy to get to..

cheers guys, anymore suggestions, keep em coming :D

think im gonna mount it on top of the steering column cover, in the middle, so as you look at the speedo / rev counter, its right in the centre of them 2. should be nice & visible.

J

jasegould

I drilled a hole thru the bulkhead where the accelerator is attached and fitted my own grommet 8) i found it easier as the pipe doesnt run half way round the dash

E

Evil_GtiR

two easy ways.

1) at the passenger side in engine bay, go to the firewall right at the corner, you see the silver thing with two bolts attached to the chasis. Unbolt it and you find space getting underneath it, you can see some wires feeding through the factory grommet and you can either cut a hole at the side of the grommet or use a long screwdriver and poke the grommet in, so you have space through the hole. If you stick a long screw driver down the hole you can find the other end coming out from behind, on the most left, underneath the glovebox. You can then feed your vaccuum hose thru there as it's closer to your map sensor.

2) other grommet is on driver side, on the firewall in engine bay you can see a hole there and stick your hose thru that hole and using other hand you stick your hand under the front guards, (under the mud guard cover "or watever you call it) you can push that pipe through another hole going through the driver side. It's a pain for this one cause of the tight space and it's best you have small hands! :) The hose should then come out just above your pedals. I managed to squeeze in a 0 gauge amp power cable and another power cable for my second amp. Plenty of space through that hole.

J

J-GTi-R

think im gonna mount it on top of the steering column cover, in the middle, so as you look at the speedo / rev counter, its right in the centre of them 2. should be nice & visible.
That's where I put mine. I took out the main dash and vent surround and drilled a hole throught that so I could thread the illumination wires and pressure hose through to make it look nice and tidy. I can try and take some phoyos for you tomorrow if you like (off my phone, so they'll be shite).

D

DodgeT

I can try and take some phoyos for you tomorrow if you like
yeh, will give me an idea

sounds as if theres a few possibilities there, im sure ill find somewhere to stick it :shock:

A

Anonymous

try the grommet on the inner wings,above the abs ecu.a hole runs down the inner wing under the bonnet,by the air filter,i used a long piece of coathanger wire,taped the boost hose to it,and pushed it through.

A

AJ4

When I had my boost guage on the drivers side pillar I ran the hose through the hole in the top left of the engine bay. You can feed the hose through there into the wing, and then back out again and through the hole where the wiring loom for the door goes, then straight up to the pillar.

Now the gauge is in the center console, I enlarged the bottom hole for the air con and it comes straight through there with a battery cable as well.

D

DodgeT

other grommet is on driver side, on the firewall in engine bay you can see a hole there and stick your hose thru that hole and using other hand you stick your hand under the front guards, (under the mud guard cover "or watever you call it) you can push that pipe through another hole going through the driver side. It's a pain for this one cause of the tight space and it's best you have small hands! The hose should then come out just above your pedals. I managed to squeeze in a 0 gauge amp power cable and another power cable for my second amp. Plenty of space through that hole
just done it like this, seemed like the easiest way

gaffer taped to the top of the steering column cover at the mo until i can sort out a proper mount.

gaffer tape is ace :D