Bleeding Clutch!

J

Jonny H

Probably a silly question but as ive never done this before i thought i'd double check! My new Master Cylinder comes in on friday so thought i would bleed the clutch this morning and take the old unit out ready for the new one on friday! However ive just been reading the guides on how to bleed the clutch but in every one it mentions that you have to top up the clutch fluid when you pump the old stuff out!! Can you not bleed the system completely without topping it up with new fluid?

Shaun

:D Hi mate,as you said,theres no point in bleeding the clutch before you change the master cylinder,as you have to drain the system to do this anyway :D The way i did mine was to put a tube on the bleed nipple on the slave cylinder and into a jar,then open the nipple,then just keep pumping the peddle until all the fluid is drained out :!: Then once you have fitted the master cylinder,fill the resevoire with suitable fluid and bleed the system as in the How To Guides :D

P

PaddyPower

Is there any benefit to renewing all the fluid?

I have to bleed it and was thinking should i empty and then refill instead?

ki_saj_ng

beneifit is you will have fresh fluid in the system.

some fluid types dont mix so unless u know whats in there....you could mess things up and for the sake of a couple quid for fluid.

its well worth doing in my opinon.

P

PaddyPower

Can someone please tell me wheer the slave cyliunder that you bleed it from is located?

Shaun

:D Hi Paddy,the clutch slave is on the top of the gear box(passenger side) underneath the water system bleed bolt. :DIf you follow the bottom radiator hose from the rad to the engine,when you reach where it meets the engine,it's just to the right of that :D

P

PaddyPower

Any directions as to how to get to that from the clutch resevoir? :oops: