Big Ends

B

Brett G

Just found out that the problem could of been caused in my case by using the wrong oil (mobil 1)
I hope its that anyway because then at least it'll put my mind at rest knowing what the cause was.
Rather than a re-grind I might buy a new crank shaft if need be and could need new rods too, just hope my cylinders etc are ok!

otter

Who told u that it could b the oil?
I was using mobile1. Could just b a coincidence...?
Mines just came back reground. 0.25mm off (i think).
A few people have said try to find another crank but i dunno how much i could find 1for.
Then theres the hassle of measuring it up.
Could only get shells from nissan tho.
What revs were u doing at the time?

otter

Who told u that it could b the oil?
I was using mobile1. Could just b a coincidence...?
Mines just came back reground. 0.25mm off (i think).
A few people have said try to find another crank but i dunno how much i could find 1for.
Then theres the hassle of measuring it up.
Could only get shells from nissan tho.
What revs were u doing at the time?

A

Anonymous

Apparently The ordinary 40w Mobil 1 is too thin for turbo cars, it has to be the Mobil 1 50w motorsport stuff, which can be bought from halfords just for the same. They are even the same price.

I have used Mobil 1 motorsport for 2 years in my R, and never had any bother with it.

B

Brett G

I think the problem in my case was that the motorsport kind of Mobil 1 prob is ok but I didn't realise there were different types and therefore I was just using the one straight off of ESSO's shelf :roll: not even paying attention to the type, so almost definately not the motorsport 50W type!!
Otter, I was just testing out my new-ish turbo so i did push it a bit (not so much the revs but top end speed) didn't get that close when the bearings went tho.
Whats your story?
I think it may not be a co-incidence what type of Mobil 1 was you using?

otter

Ill b keeping away from that oil. It was just what tms motor spares sold me. Mobil1, But it does say for turbo'd engines! :?
I was doing 157mph at 7250rpm when mine went. :x
Last nite on the road b4 i took it off 4winter. I thought id just what it could do. Wish i hadnt now tho!
Cranks back and got shells sorted. Getting put back put back 2gether at the mo.
Should b done 4nxt week. :D

B

Brett G

Nice to hear its getting fixed mate, hope its all good when you get it back :)
Mine wont be done for a while :(
Just brought myself a Golf GTI as a permanent second car as I cant seem to keep the Pulsar on the road for much longer than a week :roll:
You realise just how much you miss the R when you are stuck driving round in a Golf :cry:

E

Edd

Brett 2 said:
You realise just how much you miss the R when you are stuck driving round in a Golf :cry:
try being stuck in an almera for 3 months :shock:

otter

Haha, ill do u both a swap any day!
Ive bought my sisters 1.3 fiesta, which wouldnt b too bad if she hadnt rolled it onto its side 1st.
The whole driver sides crumpled!
Im the laughing stock of my town but i know how much im saving and what the sunnys gona look like next month so its worth it! 8)

So brett, i take it u have had a bit of trouble wid urs then?

B

Brett G

Well its like the whole pleasure and pain thing!! :roll:
Just wish I could of spent as much on BHP as I have on just keeping it moving :x