best price for head gasket swap

soin

well, looks like im off down that road again , after 2000 miles on my rebuild ive got the sludge effect in my coolant bottle and mayo on my rad cap .. was hoping an oil cooler swap would have sorted the prob but alas it wasnt to be .. and after my 3.5k forged rebuild it seems as if an £8 seized thermostat was the culprit ..ive no water in my oil which leads me and my local tuner to suspect a partially blown gasket or a crack in the head is the cause of the oil contamination .. i have reciepts for over 8k on the R so i cant bring myself to sell it as is , but need to get the work done at the best possible price available .. anyone willing to do the job on here would be my next question ? if not could anyone suggest a reputable mechanic with R knowledge , thought id ask before i go down the overpriced tuner route .. also the car has been on the rollers and only produced 279 bhp on these specs
87mm forged
hks 1.2 hg
jun superlight fly
straight through hks,de cat ,zigen
walbro
hks fuel press reg
blitz filter
arc uprated topmount
boost set at 1.2 bar

pretty poor i think when other people are getting 280 @1 bar with only an exhaust and filter

279 was at the fly

i will travel and dont expect to get the job done for £200

but anyone up for it ?

jonesgti_r

got a mate who could do it... only problem is if he sends the head of for pressure testing and it comes back as cracked can you get a replacement????

i'll have a word wit me mate and see how busy he is.. ( i know some body dropped a GTIR with him last night to have some work done )

N

Ninja_tune_factory

Hi mate sorry to see ur haveing problem , i could do the job mate but im in south wales, at the moment i have a R that im just finishing off for a customer so i could do urs next how soon do you need it done ?

Pm me if you want

cheers Lionel.

O

Odin

I'd ask mike (ex gtir) to do it for you if your near enough to him (kent/essex) I think, What he doesn't know about R's isn't worth knowing lol.

rob

GTiR_Mic

Have you had the engine checked to see if the head gasket is away? I thought I had buggered mine at the weekend so got a leak down test done on it, came up all clear.

Mic

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
soin said:
ive got the sludge effect in my coolant bottle and mayo on my rad cap .. was hoping an oil cooler swap would have sorted the prob but alas it wasnt to be .

How long have you run it after the oil cooler swap and how well did the cooling system get flushed out?

I had a leaking standard oil cooler and after it was changed, I'm still getting a little residual oil from the system. After the inital bit, I don't seem to be gaining any more oil, but you can still see it if you take the cap off or look in the bottle. I think mines pretty much settled down now.

Your might just be the same.

Head gasket tends to be water in the oil, loss of compression and pressuring the coolant system.

soin

cheers for all the offers and advice guys , in response to a few questions , the cooling system has been flushed through 4 times , as for compression checks ive had various results , low results from nissan dealer , low results from my local mechanic and then spot on results of 165/170/165/170 psi from my local mechanic again , this time using his friends state of the art tester . the coolant has been tested for the presence of exhaust gasses with none found . the car sometimes has a very slight miss but apart from that runs fine , its my power output figures that are worrying me .. 279 @1.2 bar doesnt this seem low ?