Battery

gtirneil

I have alredy got the washer bottle relocated to the boot.

How hard is it to relocate the battery to the boot? What is needed?

Mr GTiR

5 meters of 4 gauge cable, 2 new battery connectors & connector block (can find all from your local ICE dealer).

Chop 1/2 meter off the 5 meters and use that for an earth. Might be worth putting black tape on it.

Feed 4 gauge through car and bulk head, connect it via connector block to exisiting battery wires. and on other end conncet to battery. Dead easy.

PM me if you need help doing it as your local to me :wink:

geetee

Can you just run the new battery earth to a chassis earth somewhere in the boot, and chassis earth the original battery cable in the engine bay - or does this introduce resistance issues?

Just a thought as then you only need to run one cable the length of the car.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

Mr GTiR

geetee said:
Can you just run the new battery earth to a chassis earth somewhere in the boot, and chassis earth the original battery cable in the engine bay
Yes, that's how mine is set up.

gtirneil

Mr GTiR said:
5 meters of 4 gauge cable, 2 new battery connectors & connector block (can find all from your local ICE dealer).

Chop 1/2 meter off the 5 meters and use that for an earth. Might be worth putting black tape on it.

Feed 4 gauge through car and bulk head, connect it via connector block to exisiting battery wires. and on other end conncet to battery. Dead easy.

PM me if you need help doing it as your local to me :wink:
Cheers fella i had a look at it today and it doesnt look to hard so i will give it a go after christmas, thanks for the info. :wink: 8)

nismoboy

mattygti-r said:
normal micra one
would a premiera one be better? will fitting a battery with more amps cause problems :?: ie burn things out? just wondering as im in the process of changing to a new battery and i just want the best.

geetee

I don't think fitting a larger battery with more cranking amps is a problem - just may take longer to charge off the puny alternator IF it goes flat. The alternator pushes out the same current / voltage the whole time the engine is running AFAIK so shouldn't cause anything to burn out.

I think a couple of guys have got big diesel batteries in the boot - good for cold morning starts and running ICE systems.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

i got a yellow top deep cycle battery best buy i ever had never had any probs with it and holds charge very well! origionally had it to sustain sound system in old car but took it all out and left battery!

skiddusmarkus

I had a battery off a Landcruiser I think but have swapped to a lightweight drycell race battery now.It only weighs 6kg and can be mounted flat(it's going in the rear passenger footwell) to help lower centre of gravity but isn't really worth it for an everyday car as they cost around £100.

Mark_GTiR

Unbelievable - I just logged on to put the same post on. The car won't start this morning - flat as a pancake :(

Just waiting for the recovery people to come and give me a jump then I'm off to buy a new one - I hope it's just the battery... it's got Jap writting all over it so I assume it's quite old!

Mark_GTiR

Problem solved - Micra battery to the rescue... cheers for the suggestion Matty!

Damn small terminals... took me ages to find the right battery in Halfords!

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
I thought that this Battery Topic was a sticky...

For anyone else its a MICRA K10 BATTERY... :wink:

Rishi

A

Az

Salmon_GTiR said:
Damn small terminals... took me ages to find the right battery in Halfords!
Aye same probs here when I needed a new bat few weeks ago. Can't remember what I went for in the end, but it did the job :)

Mark_GTiR

although for anyone with the same problem - I'm told that it's easier to just cut off the old small terminal connectors and put bigger ones one.. they sell 'em everywhere. - Just in case anyone wanted to go for a battery with bigger terminals!