autometer air/fuel gauge

A

Anonymous

how is this fitted to the gtir? ive got 1 to put in tomorrow any help would be great

A

Anonymous

the autometer gague will nto work as the standard O2 sensor in the GTi-R operates in the range of 1.5V -2.5V i think where as the autometer gauge operates in the range 0V-1V so the reading will be out.

The best way to get a gauge working is to tap another O2 sensor in there (any bosch one but check voltage outputs) and just run the gauge of the second sensor

Gino

In da integra and civic
switching fo' lanes
wit da pedal down screeming out racin' aint a thing

A

Anonymous

tap in another sensor, ok, I got the same autometer afr meter... So where and how do I tap this 2nd sensor in ?

S

Sirnixalot

ive used an autometer ultra lit A/F ratio gauge on my car with the standard O2 sensor. You need to fin pin number 19 ont he ECU....if you need help on that check www.ggon.net and go to GTi-R information for the ECU pin outs

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Does it read correctly Sir?
Have you been able to check it against a wide band senser perhaps?

S

Sirnixalot

i couldnt tell you that one....i took it off as i preffer to hav ean EGT gauge there...i sold it, you cant really use those gauges as a basis for precise tuning. They are very general...you are either rich, stoich or lean. You would be better off spending the money on an EGT gauge...it will give you a better idea. I must admit though.....it does look really cool :oops:

A

Anonymous

Ok, I have this same ultra light afr gauge from autometer, but the ecu pin-out on the ggon website doesn't work, at least the link doesn't...

skiddusmarkus

Would it be possible to have a resistor/small coil or summat(don't know jack about electronic terms)that can convert the voltage into something the Autometer can understand?

A

Anonymous

How sure are u on the fact that the GTiR sensor is from 1,5 - 2,5 volts ?

Cause I could make something that would transform the voltages... It could be passive, so wouldn't need any extra electrical power.

ashills

found out from ian at hiteq that teh standard o2 sensor is no good for this as it makes the higher voltages and will seem to always be rich
best to put a second normal o2 sensor in teh decat or something

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Shunts and multipliers skiddus? Can't remember which one tho. (O level physics was 20 years ago)

A

Anonymous

if u use 2 diodes in line with the sensor, U'll drop the voltage by 1,4 volts, very close already.
I'm just gonna trie and find out if there are any 1,5 volt zener diodes...

A

Anonymous

I've just checked the signal on pin 19 of my ecu, and it goes from 0-1,2 volt... This means I can just use the afr meter from autostyle. Seems to be a few differences between pulsars ? The gauge also reads good, lean when idle-ing, going from lean to rich when stepping on it and jumping over stoich when cruising... Looks great !!!

O

Olly

Yeah the gauge will be fine but the R does sometimes show something like 1.5 volts when the gauge stops at 1 volt on full chat, i believe

P

purplemonster

i fitted one to my R and it works a treat ,but it also whos how poor the nissan fueling is under all conditions ,and my cars runs pefectly?

thats why aftermarket fuel controllers works so well ?

Rob

A

Anonymous

well, mine runs pretty rich all the time...
Could you tell me how you fitted your gauge, Rob ?
Cause when I turn on my headlights the afr gauge stops working :(
I could measure what I've done wrong, but if you tell me what's the right way, that'll be alot faster :)

C

chrislloydus

people are missing the point here. The problem lies with the Nissan lambda sensor. Its just not accurate in the area you want to monitor ! The ECU only uses the lambda in closed loop (ie cruising) when its trying to get you the best fuel economy by getting the mixture as close to 14.7:1 as possible. On acceleration the ECU ignores the lamdba because its so inaccurate.

Normal lambda sensors (ie like the Nissan one) are so called narrow band and have one major flaw. They only indicate that you are running rich or lean but they can't tell you how rich or how lean. This is because when you get outside the stoichiometric AFR (14.7 air to fuel ratio) the sensor output voltage rises or drops drmatically making it very difficult to see exactly where on the curve you are ie they are only accurate at 14.7 !!

The solution. The wide band sensor. This is the 5 wire sensor, which has a built in oxygen pump and heater circuit to achieve a very low change in output voltage even outside the stoich area. So what's the catch? There is only ONE wide band sensor. It's made by NGK/NTK/BOSCH (all the same sensor)......and they are about £200 a shot.

try : http://www.techedge.com.au/vehicle/wbo2/default.htm
and : http://www.lambdaboy.com/product.html

Buy an EGT gauge - much more useful.

Chris