Are there 2 version of standard gear box?

M

MarkMc

Hi ALL
Got a gear box problem at the moment. I want’t to know is there a stronger version of the gear box commonly available from Nissan? Im getting my gearbox completely replaced and really only using the housing and probably few shafts being reused. The tunner said that there are two versions :shock: of standard gear box and one has stronger internal components. Anyone heard this before? :?:

Websnowbo

The only other standard fit gearbox i know of is the shorter ratio Dakar box, but i'm not sure if anyone has ever found out if they are stronger or not. I would be interested to know if Nissan can get hold of the short reatio gears in the Dakar box though.

Obviously the only other Nissan fitment would be Nismo..........

Websnowbo

Having just typed that, i'm now wondering if the gear ratios are actually different or weather it is just a different ratio in the diff's?

Also does the Dakar have the Diff outside the box like the rally jobbie?

I'm sure i should know all this but my brain cant seem to process it at the moment..............

S

Sirnixalot

there are 3 different strength casings.

1990-1991 = weak

1992-1993 = intermediate

1994 = strongest

I think the dates are correct. I do not know how to tell the difference between them.

M

MarkMc

Thanks for that Sirnixalot now i know the tunner is not exactly telling me stories. My old gear box had the end of the housing broken off :oops: . So stronger housing would be better I would think :D .

J

jiw

Has anyone had problems wih the casings twisting on one another? or are the well doweled, just my reconned box has started to leak out of the input shaft oil seal onto the clutch :cry: and also out of the mating face's!!! jeff.

Nad

If u cant tell the difference between them doesnt help does it ;) I take it they all fit up the same just different castings. Right, we need 3 R's all on original boxes and a team of mechanics and me with a camera, volunteers??? ;)

Nad

J

jiw

mines a 91 on the j plate, i could take pictures as im out working on the car on saturday, unless the boss has some shopping plans :roll: jeff.

Websnowbo

Sirnixalot said:
there are 3 different strength casings.

1990-1991 = weak

1992-1993 = intermediate

1994 = strongest

I think the dates are correct. I do not know how to tell the difference between them.
Right, so thats just the casing's, are the internals the same though?

Also Nikko, the Dakar box is totally different i presume? Having an extrnal diff?

And does the Dakar have the same gear ratios but a different diff ratio?

W

whelanm

dakar has different gear ratios.

and yes all the normal gtirs have the same gearbox.
no internal changes so it seems.

Just the casing was strengthened.

michael

Nad

Only the WRC cars had external diff so it seems, and even then they were different to the standard ones.

Nad

A

Anonymous

i have a dakar box here at home. tho its in need of repair as first on the imput and output shafts are non existant..

but i can tell you that its only the gear ratios that are different. inside the box. and also the dakar box i have is one of the late 94 ones as its got the thicker stronger housing.

so from what i have typed here. i am guessing that whoever bought my car in japan optioned for the short ratio box from factory. which was quiet exciting untill my mate decided to go for a drive in my car and break it.

M

MarkMc

From what you are all saying it seems like it is only the casing. There are no stronger bearings, syncros, selectors etc… just the casing and 94 is the strongest

Cheers

gtiroz

Administrator
Staff member
offtopic, but:

i wish everyone would STOP CALLING IT "DAKAR"!!!!

the i-R NEVER entered the rally by that name,
and NOBODY has been able to prove that name appears anywhere in any nissan documents...

its an "RB" (as opposed to the road-spec "RA")
if you want to use a nickname say "rally-spec" :)

shalom
[dakarnamehater]

W

whelanm

lol

I hate the term Dakar too Shalom to be Honest.

Just all the poms use it and often many dont realise what an RB is!

he he he

michael

A

AVOGTIR

i think someone forgot to take there prozac :)

i didn't think there was a difference between casings.

Nissan has stopped the manufacture of the short gear ratio gears... i tried to get one a while back to no avail. being ten years old, most parts may become very hard to get hold off.

Matt

M

MarkMc

Yeah I have already got a new box ordered unfortunately :( (phiteze(something like that), PPG) from SA or VIC. Looked at getting some of the others on the market, but tunner said ppg were stronger :) and all part in box are replaced :wink: with better stuff. I don’t like having to buy things twice :cry: , which I have already done with ECU,s turbos, clutches etc… due to them not being suitable. If I need to buy in a few years time hopefully not I will check those suppliers out :wink:

Thanks