ARC B.O.V help please

MonstR

Hiya folks,

I have an ARC B.O.V on my R, which seems to make more of a 'chatter-chatter' kinda noise than a 'tradional' kinda noise if you know what I mean? Is this because my boost is too low or something? The numpty who had the car before the dealer who sold it to me had fitted a trust boost-controller, but due to the fact that I only have the standard boost guage I'm not sure if I'm running the correct level. Anyone got any ideas please? :?:

Lou

GTIR-LOZ

you can adjust the noise through the allen key socket on top of the bov i believe its prob made the valve too tight for the amount of air passing through my arc was quite loud

MonstR

Nice one Loz, I'll give that a blast 2moro n see what happens. So just keep tweekin it till it sounds something more like it should yeah?

ram5ay

Yeh I had a similar prob, if the spring is too tight you can get chatter because the bov isn't opening properly. I would try losening the locknut and screwing the allen key out, you might find if you are only running low boost that it still wont open properly.
Might be an idea to get a good boost gauge and check what you are running anyway, at a bar my bov sounded totally different than before.
:wink:

MonstR

Cheers Ram5ay, I've got a feelin that the boost might not be what it should be. I'll try openin up the bov a bit first and see how it goes but will def have a look for a new boost guage too as the standard one don't seem overly accurate!!

MonstR

O.k, next question - how much of the adjuster thread has to be showing roughly when the lockin nut is tightened up? Went rushing outside after reading advice only to realise I didn't know wot the oh no I was actually adjustin it too!! :oops:

ram5ay

Hey mate, you should be able to loosen the locknut then screw the threaded allen bolt right out of the bov, if you then screw it back in till you just start to feel a wee bit of resistance (this will be as it locates the top of the spring) you will have set it at where it will open with least boost. If this isn't enough to make a kawooosshh then you eather need more boost or a weaker spring. It might also be worth checking the vacuum hose that goes to it is ok.
:wink:

MonstR

Thanks again Ram5ay! I'm gonna have to start payin ya a wage soon for all this info! :lol: I'll give that a go 2moro providin that it isn't tippin it down with rain again!