Apexi SAFC2

antgtir

I have had an Apexi SAFC2 sat in my car for a couple of months now but it isn't wired in or mapped etc. My question is: Is it worth having it fitted and mapped even though im only on standard boost??

Also if i am to get a boost controller it wont be for a while so again would i see any benefit in performance and fuel economy if i get the SAFC2 fitted and mapped only for the standard boost its running now??

I dont want to get a manual boost controller so im looking into the AVCR, so as i said it wont be until maybe a few months.

Any help is appreciated. Many thanks.

Ant.

Gray

Sell it to me cheap, im running 1 bar now and need a fuel map to ensure i can go for higher boost and not run lean. I was going to go for the Greddy Emanage though.

I had the apexi safc2 on my Almera GTi and it made no difference. You will have adequate fuel for standard boost, installing one of these would only maybe smooth out any flat spots etc.

But if you plan to up the boost one day it could be useful to keep and install.

antgtir

Thats what im trying to gauge, whether or not i get the guys to fit it and just have it as a simple analysing gauge or actually get it mapped and running :?

Ant.

Aimee

Moderators
Staff member
Dont get it mapped yet darling - your throwing money at something that wont help.

Just get it fitted so you can see how its running etc. :wink:

Aimee x

Mr GTiR

Gray said:
I had the apexi safc2 on my Almera GTi and it made no difference. You will have adequate fuel for standard boost, installing one of these would only maybe smooth out any flat spots etc.
LOL that's what i said.

Having it fitted is still a waste of money! Save up some d'oh and get the AVCR & SAFC fitted and mapped together. It will cost you less in the long run :wink:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
IMHO Ant I wouldn't bother getting it mapped as a proper job is in the region of £200-400 depending on where you go and how long they take.

Teaching you to suck eggs, the SAFC2 can only alter fueling not timing so "Tuning" the engine is quite limited.

I'd go with Gray and say you won't see any performance gains. The standard R runs quite rich and throwing anymore fuel at it would not help. You might be able to fettle out some more economy by throwing less but whether it would save enough to justify the expense I doubt it.

I thought the SAFC2 is only about 10 wires, can you not have a go yourself?
:wink: :wink:

antgtir

Many thanks for the comments guys, just wanted confirmation from the people who aren't out there to take my money lol.

I will fit the SAFC2 myself, i had a look at the wiring and its a simple job tbh, so with that in mind i wont bother getting it mapped, ill just have it setup as a monitoring device for now.

I have been looking into getting the AVCR and it will cost about £280 to buy, then there will be the mapping. Is the AVCR easy enough to fit yourself? I suppose its not worth it as you need to map it as its fitted really so that the engine isn't damaged in any way in the time between fitting and mapping.

Jim thanks for the pm's regarding the above, helped alot :wink:

Andy, i know you told me on monday but i like to get a majority vote as im sure you do, no insults where intended mate, cheers. :wink:

Ill keep you posted as to how i get on with the wiring of the SAFC2.

Ant.

antgtir

Dooie Pop Pop said:
£280 :shock: what a waste of money :lol:

might a well fit an emanage for that much :lol:

oh no apexi :roll:
With this in mind how much are the Greddy Emanage going for?? What extra features if any do you get with this over the AVCR??

I have been told that maybe the AVCR boost solenoid is a bit weak and may give up after a while, does the Greddy Emanage have a more stable / sturdy boost solenoid??

Any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers, Ant. :D

antgtir

Update on SAFC2: I have now fitted the SAFC2 myself and is working well. The one thing i would suggest to anyone who is about to do the same thing, is solder any connections to the ECU rather than splicing into the wires as this will reduce the potential for loose connections and inevitabley causing your engine to stop due to this etc etc.

It is an easy job to carry out yourself and would recommend it to anyone who is reasonably capable of understanding and working with wiring diagrams etc etc. Also it means that it will innevitably save you money that you would have had to spend on someone else doing it for you, and basically means that you now have a monitoring system installed if you aren't quite ready for a turn up of the boost.

This maybe telling some people how to suck eggs but for the newbies out there it should help to know that it is possible without a tuner.

For help with the setup and fitment of the SAFC2 carry out a search and along with the instructions you get with the controller you will have all the info you need to carry out the installation and initial setup for yourselves.

Many thanks for eveyone's comments and help over the phone.

Regards,

Ant. :D :wink:

Dooie Pop Pop

iv had my blitz spec r boost controller for nearly 2 years and its not skipped a beat once (touch' s wood)

that has 2 solonoids iirc

the emanage handles everything else.

not really worth it though on a 300 odd bhp car. saying that though you' d make your money back on the petrol saved :D

i think i must have missread your post last night :oops:

antgtir

Just looked at your post again, did you mean the Greddy Emanage to take the place of the SAFC2 as it is a Air Fuel Converter like the SAFC2, its the Profec B thats the Boost Controller, didnt know but just had a look on ebay now.

So you would recommend the Blitz Spec R then. I may look into a different make to the AVCR if there are better available for similar price.

Cheers, Ant.