apexi or hks

leemh

I dunno what air filter to buy either the apexi one or the hks mushroom....is there any difference in air flow ect....???

help apreciated(sp):confused:

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
HKS one is rubbish! It lets too much dirt in..

A'PEXi one flows and filters far better..

Rishi

There was a test conducted a few years ago with HKS, A'PEXi, Blitz and K&N..

K&N came out top over all.. Some flowed more but let in more dirt, others flowed less but were a little cleaner.. Blitz SUS, K&N and A'PEXi were all good.. It was the HKS one that wan't.. It just let in too much crap..

gunmetalgtir

Yeah I remember the test, what I meant was if anyone had tried using a different brand of replacement filter then tried testing it again to see if it was any better than the filter that HKS supply? Cause I buy the replacement filters from elsewhere when I need to change it because HKS charge a fortune for them!

youngsyp

gunmetalgtir said:
Yeah I remember the test, what I meant was if anyone had tried using a different brand of replacement filter then tried testing it again to see if it was any better than the filter that HKS supply? Cause I buy the replacement filters from elsewhere when I need to change it because HKS charge a fortune for them!
All foam based filters are crap. The problem with foam is that you can't make the density small enough to trap dirt particles and flow well at the same time. That's why you see the 'multi layer' filters, like the Pipercross range etc... Adding that particle retention coating just makes things worse as, it get's sucked in too !
So effectively, you get a compromise of poor particle retention and average flow properties. With that in mind, calling an HKS element a 'performance air filter' is an oxymoron !

I had the Apexi unit (GTiR specific) and found, after I changed to a Blitz SUS package that it was quite restrictive.
I did some reading and found that it wasn't down to the construction of the Apexi filter but, it's size. The Blitz is a much larger unit and the theory goes that the larger the surface area the filter has, the smaller the pressure drop across it. So, the better the flow characteristics.

Not that I'd recommend the Blitz SUS kit either as, it's very poor at the filtering part.

I keep meaning to do it and haven't got round to it yet but, I want to replace the Blitz cone with a K&N or preferably Green cone of equal or greater size. They flow very well and also have much better particle retention properties than any other filter on the market.
Basically, it seems that you can't beat the cotton gauze for an air filter material !

Paul

gunmetalgtir

Nice indepth explaination there Paul! :eek:k:

So basically you have to compromise good filteration for good flow? As none of the filters offer both?

youngsyp

gunmetalgtir said:
So basically you have to compromise good filteration for good flow? As none of the filters offer both?
Yes you do. However, if you go for the right filter material, the compromise gets smaller.

Again, the best material to use, that is currently used, is cotton gauze, like the Green and K&N filters. It offers excellent flow and good filtration. Ultimately, they'll probably flow just as well as the Blitz SUS does, or better and filter better than any filter on the market.
And it's easy to to improve the flow properties, you just need to buy a bigger filter !

I think Forge do a kit for the GTiR that uses an Evo 6 specific K&N cone aand mates up to the GTiR MAF.

Those with the Blitz kits are quite lucky as, they can just remove the SUS filter from the adapter and fit a K&N or Green cone.
I just need to get off my ass and measure up, so I can order the right sized one !

Paul

Rishi

The one RC have fitted to mine looks like the Blitz one but its fecking HUGE!!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
RishiGTiR said:
There was a test conducted a few years ago with HKS, A'PEXi, Blitz and K&N..

K&N came out top over all.. Some flowed more but let in more dirt, others flowed less but were a little cleaner
It came 2nd;-). Beaten by Apexi on power gains and filtration:thumbsup: