Apexi AVC-R Boost Control Valve and Pressure sensor Location

antgtir

As the title says, just wondered where people have mounted their AVC-R Boost Control Valve and Pressure Sensor in order to maintain a short pipe run and maintain their asthetic appeal?

Ideally people who still have the TMIC but all suggestions are appreciated.

Many thanks,

Ant.

youngsyp

I mounted the solenoid under the air filter, on the little 'shelf' and the pressure sensor, on the firewall, in the space between the wiper motor and plenum. That way, I've got the shortest vacuum line for the sensor and the harness length is right too !

Aimee

Moderators
Staff member
I thought the little battery tray shelf / under the filter would be a good place, would it make any difference if its say 1 - 1/2 ft away from the connector - would ait affect the boost in any way ?

Mr GTiR

I found the the bracket next to the coil is the shortest route for the vac pipes as i spent ages testing different places.

Also, don't forget to put the filters at the correct distance away from the solenoid.

youngsyp

Aimee said:
I thought the little battery tray shelf / under the filter would be a good place, would it make any difference if its say 1 - 1/2 ft away from the connector - would ait affect the boost in any way ?
A good place for what, the solenoid or the sensor ?

As I said, I have the solenoid here (nearer the wheel arch than the battery) and the pipe run is around 1.5 feet to the actuator and from the plenum. Just keep these pipes the same length !

I just wanted the sensor to be as close to the vacuum source as possible, I.e. off the FPR as in the manual and, it just happened to fit well where I put it. It won't make any difference if it's as far away as the battery tray as, the pressure won't degrade over that small a distance. You could even connect the pressure sensor up to the intake pipe for a shorter run, if you mount it where you mention ?!

youngsyp

Mr GTiR said:
Also, don't forget to put the filters at the correct distance away from the solenoid.
You don't get filters for the solenoid with the AVC-R, only one for the pressure sensor !

Mr GTiR

Sorry i have the HKS ECV, but the fitting is the same.

You don't need the pressure switch with the HKS solenoid ;-)

antgtir

Thanks for the comments guys, i was a bit wary as to whether the length of pipe run would effect the ability of the boost controller in any way. I was hoping they didnt as i would prefer to mount the solenoid near to the battery / gearbox mounting and either the same for the pressure sensor or where you have suggested Si.

keep them coming, more the merrier:-D

Andy - I was thinking of getting the compact Radtech FMIC and Rad (was on ebay about a month ago) but then saw the pipe run and thought it wasn't great:?

I was hoping to stick with the TMIC and maybe upgrade to the ARC version.:? (Dont want to chop my R to bits:lol: )

Ant.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I originally stuck mine in the place where the original was until Ross advised me of the dangers of heat soak and solenoid relaibility on the AVCR. The solenoid is now mounted on a bracket off the gearboc mount. My boost sensor is mounted near the water bottle off a quick tap going to the intercooler. I mounted this close in an effort to reduce boost surge on my turbo

antgtir

I yesterday fabricated a bracket for the original position of the boost solenoid so i can mount it there. I thought of the heat soak issue and thought it wouldn't be an issue there as it isn't directly over the manifold etc.

On the instructions it says to mount the pressure sensor off the surge tank / air filter, was a bit strange the diagram given, has anyone got a photo knocking around showing the setup with regards to position within the system? If so that would be great.

Many thanks,

Ant.

youngsyp

If you imagine a 6" pipe run to the FPR, with the sensor sitting on the fire wall, just below the lip, just to the right (looking from the front of the car) of the TMIC to plenum/surge tank pipe ?! That's where mine is !

Sorry, don't have any photos !