advice on oil

abyss

I bought some silkolene 10w /50 for my engine. But my mechanic recommended against it said because my engine has done 70,000 miles, and the engine is tired so he put in part sinthetic oil instead don't know what. But should i be using fully sinthetic oil in my engine.

W

woodster

as long as you've taken care of the engine it should be fine, it's only really for older engine's normally that are pushing 100,000 :wink: .

i should image at some point you've had the engine apart as alot of the other people on the forum have so your oil you've brought will be ideal :wink: :D :D :D

abyss

dont know mate i was changing the gearbox etc dont know if the engine has had a rebuild but its going to be reshelled after christmas and the engine will be rebuilt then.

K

KRS

I know people using silkolene with 120,000miles+ without any issues, there 200SX's though and run on a diffrent grade but still fully synthetic.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Silkoline 10/50 is exactly what you should be using...

Most peeps on here use either

Castrol RS 10/60
or
Silkoline 10/50

Rishi

rayman75

i thought you shouldnt mix, fully synthetic and semi synthetic, if you do u have to fully flush the engine through and get rid of the old stuff either semi/fully.

just what i have been told over the years.

O

Odin

I wouldn't flush an old engine matey, You will remove all the stuff thats proberly holding it together lol.

Your proberly spring a few leaks if you do :lol: :lol: .

I'd just drain and replace if I where you mate. :wink:

rob

Stevo

vpulsar said:
I wouldn't flush an old engine matey, You will remove all the stuff thats proberly holding it together lol.

Your proberly spring a few leaks if you do :lol: :lol: .

I'd just drain and replace if I where you mate. :wink:

rob
Aint that the truth :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cris

rayman75 said:
i thought you shouldnt mix, fully synthetic and semi synthetic, if you do u have to fully flush the engine through and get rid of the old stuff either semi/fully.

just what i have been told over the years.
Old truth apparently.

Back in the day mineral oil and sythetic would jellify if brought together. Apparently the agnets which caused this aren't present in modern oils so it's not an issue.

Unless you've got some cans stahsed away from the 60s I wouldn't worry. Stick to synth.

youngsyp

S-GTI-R said:
wot about castrol gtx magnatec 10/40 is that ok 4 the gtir?
Would steer clear of that matey. As Rishi has said, most peeps on here use Slikolene Pro S 10w50. They use it for a reason and that's because it seems to be the bet oil for the SR20DET in the GTiR.

I have used Mobil 1, Motul motorsport oil and the Silkolene that I have used for the past few oil changes is the best by quite a way. It quietens the engine down and makes things feel smoother also. Plus the fact, the oilman recommends it :lol: :wink:

No need to flush the engine at all, let alone after every oil change :? All the flushing agent is, is a thinner oil and I think, the ideaology comes from a long way in the past?! If you really insist of flushing the engine, just use some of the oil you intend to start using using. I.e. Drain the old oil, fill it up with the intended oil, run it around for 50 miles or so and drop that oil and old filter. Then put on a new filter and re-fill with fresh Silkolene Pro S 10w50 :wink:

If you change the oil regularly anyway (every 6000 miles or so) the oilways etc... will be in top condition and the engine will give you many years of motoring joy..................well, until you turn the boost up too high :wink: