Actuator Fitting

Fazz

hi guys,

so after pig of day fitting 3071 and modifying oil,water actuator, brackets etc its finally on.

trouble is its not boosting.. drives lik 2litre and does rev out.

i suspect the actuator is problem in that it was fitted, on close inspection , wit internal wastegate as open partially in standard form, then to open more if needed via controller.

would i be right in saying the boost won't build up as gate has to be closed to build it, then opened to control it???

if so, then i jus hav to work out how to get fingers in to adjust it!

its a hks adjustable. serious labour went into fitting back yesterday and i see the modifying oil/water pipes everyone has mentioned ! fun! not..

so does internal gate need to be closed to build the boost initially???

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
What actuator do you have fitted? Was it setup by anyone at all?

Wastegate start to open almost immediately under +ve boost but miust be a tight fit when not otherewise boost might never build.

Fazz

thanks. at least its a small prob.. that needs small hands to fix!

its set at half open so need this closed.

its hks adjustable and wasn't set up jus put in.

i'm thinkin long nose pliers....

will update when i get at it... thanks for replies..

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I'm thinking taking it off again :(
I used my car pump accurate to 1psi to set mine but did it before fitting.
Good luck with your long nose pliers. Trial and error I suppose if you can get them in there.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Sounds to me like whoever adjusted the actuator rod adjusted it the wrong way by making the rod to long.

Sorry to say but I think you'll need to take it all off to do the job properly :doh:

even if you manage to get the e-clip off the back of the wastegate spindle in one piece and get the lock nut undone you will still have to make the adjustment to the actuator rod and then make sure the lock nut is done up tight and then try and refit the e-clip.

I see your biggest problem will be making the correct adjustment, like Jim I used a compressor/tyre inflator to measure at what pressure the gate would start to open, I measured 1,2 bar before it cracked open. A basic way of doing it would be to have the turbo and actuator assembled and on a bench the to line up the end of the actuator rod over the end of the wastegate spindle, make sure it's a nice easy fit and the wastegate opens smoothly then adjust the actuator rod shorter so you can only see half to a 3rd of the end of the wastegate spindle through the hole in the actuator rod, then pull the actuator rod (you'll need pliers) back over and slip it on the wastegate spindle, refit the e-clip and make sure all the nuts & bolts are nipped up nice and tight. Then refit it all ;-)

Once youv'e done it right though you'll get a great sense of achievment.

Good luck

Fazz

wastegate is set as half open... and this causes no boost to be built so.

i think i can get to it...

and the rod has enough thread to just screw in so this my preferred method... will try the weekend.

is there a knack to removin e/c clip?

that manifold is not comin off i swear! neither are them oil n water lines...

i'm gonna accumulate my luck and go at it sat.... :)