ABS cutting in too early

mprice501

ABS activating at slow speeds

My Antilock warning light doesn’t appear on the dashboard, but almost every time I break the brake pedal vibrates! Tried an ABS fault diagnostic procedure but no LED flashes on the passenger foot well computer, I have looked under the glove box and noticed a small white 3 pin socket with nothing attached, is this something to do with the ABS system? I need to fix this before my MOT in August, Please Help. :sad:

Last edited:

nex

as far as I know if your have uprated your brakes or changed any aspect it will throw the entire system. taking out the fuse will cure it but obviosuly you wont have abs anymore

mprice501

The brakes are standard and i dont really care if the ABS is working or not, either way with the light flashing on the dash board when both fuses are taken out or whether they are in and the ABS kicks in too early the guy doing the MOT will fail the car, so just need to know how to fix.

Sunny-D

If you dont care about having abs and just want to get through the mot, take out the abs fuse and the anti-lock bulb in the clocks, job done.

mprice501

I did another fault code check yesterday evening and it flashes 9 times, has anyone had this problem before and knew what the problem was? I will try the diagnostics procedure tonight I will keep you posted, the last thing I will have to do if all else fails would be to take out the bulb behind the clocks.

Garef

I have exactly the same problem, my abs kicks in too early, but only under very light braking, heavy braking is fine. I have uprated hi-spec calipers and just had all the seals replaced a few months ago.

I'll have a go at fiddling with the fuses tonight and let you know how it goes.

mprice501

ignore the light flashing 9 times solution it only started doing that because i took the fuse out, once back in it doesnt give me a flashing warning code at all, ABS activates only at low speed coming to a stop, had any luck Garef?

Garef

mprice501 said:
ignore the light flashing 9 times solution it only started doing that because i took the fuse out, once back in it doesnt give me a flashing warning code at all, ABS activates only at low speed coming to a stop, had any luck Garef?
Hey mate, I took the abs fuse out and my brakes are working fantastic now, no more early kicking in. Sure I don't have the abs anymore, but I'm not worried about it at all.

mprice501

i asume you now have a light on your dash that wont turn off, this will cause you problems when getting your next MOT

Garef

mprice501 said:
i asume you now have a light on your dash that wont turn off, this will cause you problems when getting your next MOT
Yeah your right, the light is on, but it only stays on if it has a bulb in it. ;-)