85 psi on 4th Cylinder...

maz

Well ive just spent a mini fortune ordering my Quaife up so im absolutely skint at the moment. So perfect timing for my 4th cylinder to go and show 85psi on a comp test. My friend told me to drop a little oil down and then check again, he said if it changed then it may be the rings, but if it stayed the same then it may be the valves. It did infact stay the same.

So being skint and all, im going to attempt to check the valves my self. I have never done anything like this before, most technical thing I've done is take the rocker cover off. but i am pretty good at reverse engineering and problem solving things so i hope il be ok! gotta learn sometime eh?

All i really need now is some advice from you guys as to the procedure, what should i be looking out for and so on? i had a quick search on the forum but nothing to my specific needs could be found, if you do know of a link then id be most appreciative of it!

so if you could help me out guys id appreciate it alot and can hopefully get this fixed cheap cheap :D

thanks in advance

/maz

maz

yeah kirko i checked it last, then left it a day and checked it first a secodn time and same happened. im hoping its nothing mate, the car is still drivable and powerfull as hell, u would hardly notice it was running on 3, so im a bit mythed :/

O

Odin

maz said:
yeah kirko i checked it last, then left it a day and checked it first a second time and same happened. im hoping its nothing mate, the car is still drivable and powerful as hell, u would hardly notice it was running on 3, so im a bit myth :/

Yeah mine was the same, I still got 397 bhp on 3 pistons :shock: :twisted: , The only thing that stopped me using it was the fact that it started blowing all the oil out the breather :cry: , Now the engine is out waiting for me to start stripping ready for a rebuild, I just have to pay for it now :oops: :lol: ....

Mine was 112/60/95/108 psi across the board :doh: .

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

neil240z

do you have forged pistons? is it blowing out oil after you let off boost?

possible piston land cracked, happened to me on 2 pistons.

O

Odin

neil240z said:
do you have forged pistons? is it blowing out oil after you let off boost?

possible piston land cracked, happened to me on 2 pistons.

No fella just a box standard old 64k engine which has finally had enough of running 1.4 bar and 399 bhp for nearly 2 years lol :twisted: :thumbsup: .

I was thinking it was the ring lands myself, I'll find out when I strip it down soon.

Rob

maz

wierd how sporadic your cylinders are Rob, 1,2,3 on my car are all bang on the exact same, i think it was 130 or 155 cant remember which it was. only 4th was showing 85. soon as the quaife is in the car, i will attempt to take off the head