34mm turbo restrictor

Jon Olds

Anybody know where I get source one from to suit the OE t28. The NME part no is 16577-RP230 but I have failed dismally so far.

I know a local machine will knock me one up, but I'm keen to get one with the best internal profile for the most power.

Any help appreciated,
Jon

Mr GTiR

Ring ADR Motorpsotr and ask for Carl or Tony and ask for the number of the bloke who rally's (think he's name is Tony Bardy) a Group N GTiR.

ADR may even have one knocking about spare off one of their Group N Evo's :wink:

O

Odin

I beleave it limit's the amount of power you can make, The rally car's are limited to 300ish bhp I beleave, That why they only have 300bhp but 400 lb's of torque :wink: .

Please correct me if I'm wrong though :D .

rob

Jon Olds

restrictor

Its the rules I'm afraid.
It was brought in around the end of the group B era, when horsepower was getting out of hand.
Using good money to go slower does not sit very happily with me, but...
I suspect both torque and bhp will be affected, the engines breathing ability at high rpm will be severly restricted.
Anybody got any hot tips for making best power/torque with a restrictor on turbo engines? Most tuning books don't mention them.

E

EVOGUN

Well if the rules still allow it, run water/alky injection. You will notice a big difference.

Nad

ex-gtir said:
tony bardy will be running a 32 mm restrictor as he runs in group N not group A
Dya know what, I was looking round on the net last nite and had wondered about the different sizings. Just wondering how he gets away with a FMIC in Grp N though....

Nad

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Or if the rules allow it.....high compression and possibly water/meths injection on top.

Jon Olds

water injection

Water injection is allowed, not sure about alcohol.
I think Tony B's is probably group A spec, judging by the development its had. Its also very very rapid. Also, it would unusual for a Group N machine to be in the top 5 of a national ish rally.
Regards,
Jon

zia

what power you want from your gtir is dependant on your engine spec. the restrictor obviously caps the amount of air being fed into the engine, meaning you have to gain as much as you can on the air entering. having high comp ratio will allow you burn the mixture more throughly using low boost giving good mid range torque and power but it will see peak power tail off. due to the increasing air temp a top mount may not be efficeint enough to handle high temps.this is where water/alchol injection comes in.

zia

Jon Olds

Spec

So far, I'm not thinking of a low boost application. My thinking is a big front mount with minimal pressure drops around the system. I'm adding pressure and temp tappings at various points to get measurements during 'road' type running. Hopefully, the numbers might give me a clue what needs improving. Might be better than static r.road figures.
That, and a boost controller and fuel adjuster, along with a low back pressure exhaust.
Also, its not running yet, but hopefully in the next month, or so.

Jon Olds

Just got back from its first RRoad. The SAFC2 did a magic job of tweeking the fuelling. Didnt seem to like more than 1.1bar, so that's where its at.
Acceptably good power and torque between 4 and 6000.
Have to learn to drive it properly now.
Next event, the Jack Frost Rally at Croft. If I can get an entry..